Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm taking the plunge

Yes, that is what I am doing. It started last night. I had spent the whole day with the sister missionaries, helping them out doing their thing. There are three of them, and I have been here in Denmark at least twice as long as all of them. And they can speak danish. I can't.

That's what made me realize I am a lazy moron for not learning the language by now. I mean...I would have a right to complain if I had actually been studying all this time, but I haven't. Not even a little. I don't try to speak it with my husband and other people unless I have to. My computer, my phone, etc, had all been programmed to english. I watch and read the news in english. I read the scriptures in english. I do my very best to ignore the danish language completely, or otherwise convince myself of my inability to learn it. What the heck??

No more, I decided last night. Whatever disease of the mind that has been keeping me from trying to learn, is now cured! I changed my phone to danish last night. Now when I send text messages, I try to write them in danish. I studied in my book. I listened to my cd. I started a diary ("dagbog") in danish. I read the book of mormon in danish. I prayed in danish (sort of). I'm going to take every opportunity I can to learn this language, for the fun of it if nothing else, because it is fun. I don't know why it took me so long.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Good luck on learning Danish!! That's exciting fun. :) Just thought I'd take a break from school work and see what's going on in your life!

Love you so much!
Shannon

joanna said...

yes, good luck in learning the language. So far, I know how to say:
hi, thank you, bye, the numbers 0-20, and your mom.
I figure when I go there, I can at least go shopping. I can just say a number and point to something.
and I can make a whole bunch of 'your mom' jokes.

So, yeah, let me know how it's going.
Have you gotten your residency yet?