Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What we found (comparable to something nasty in the woodshed)

As promised, I must continue the story of the post wedding reception discoveries.

Picking up where I left off, and as already shown, there were flags on the door. My thought: how cute, our brother in law must have put decorations in our apartment when they came back to get the food we forgot.

Once we opened the door though, "cute" was no longer the word I would have chosen. The door out of the hall and into the main part of the apartment was jammed, and the light switches mysteriously did not work. Maren, Kirsten and I still didn't know what was going on. Morten did though - his voice was calm but betrayed a touch of anxiety as he struggled with the door and said "they must have taken the light bulbs."

What?? What would be the purpose of doing such a thing? He didn't elaborate as we finally burst through the door into a pitch black apartment, and commenced a search for the lamps and light bulbs. Unable to find them anywhere, at last Morten called his brother in law to ask what he had done with the light bulbs. He was informed that the lamp was inside the freezer, and the bulbs were inside socks and things in our dresser drawers.

Ok, so, haha funny, now we can relax and go to bed...NO! Because the bed, much to my dismay, was not itself.



It was covered in candy and balloons, but not only that, it was also covered in lots and lots of rice!! Well, no problem I thought, I would just carefully take off the sheet and shake it out the window. But when I began moving the sheet I discovered...rice was underneath the sheet as well! Ok, don't panic...just take off the mattress pad. WHAT?!?!?! Rice was also under the mattress pad. At that point there was nothing else to carefully remove, nothing else to do but scoop up handfuls of rice. It took a while...and I admit I did not see the humor in this tradition until about 24 hours after the fact. Now I can laugh about it :)

So that is the story of my adventures with Danish marriage customs.

No comments: