Thursday, June 3, 2010

"Serious scrappers"

Things are coming along, pregnancy-wise. I'm 25 weeks into it, and can hardly believe that means (roughly) 15 weeks left. Little "___" kicks me all day/night long, especially when we are hungry or I am making too much noise. We have thought about some names already but I won't jinx it by writing them here.

I have been discovering the many joys of pregnancy, both expected and unexpected. I can't wait to get to know her but at the same time there's still so much to get ready. I've been a bit overwhelmed lately with all there is to do - the usual work/chores/social/church/family obligations, as well as the growing responsibility of "taking care of myself." Most days I would rather just skip that one altogether but Morten is very good at helping me remember to take my many vitamins, get enough rest and exercise, tend to the bizarre ailments that come along with pregnancy, and stop stressing out.

The last one is something I could still stand to learn a lot from the Danes about. They are very serious about relaxation. They can work very hard but they are also very serious about family time, vacation, and their hobbies.

For example, last weekend I went to a scrapbooking festival with my mother and sister in law. It was the third time we have been to the bi-annual event together but again I was impressed by the people there and their dedication to their hobby. Most Danes have never heard of scrapbooking, but those who claim it as their own spend a great deal of time and effort on it. We showed up half an hour early for the 9:00 event, which I thought was a bit excessive, and it turns out that scores of ladies from all over Denmark and other countries, of all ages and walks of life, had already showed up before us with at least two heavy bags of "supplies" in tow, all lined up and ready to go in and start "scrapping."

It made me resolve, once again, to always give myself time to do the things I enjoy so that I will have much more mental energy to do the things I "have" to do all the rest of the time, and be better company for the people I care about.

I should end this post before I start babbling...or is it too late? Ok. The End.

2 comments:

Cat said...

I'm working on a project in Norway so we have a lot of Norwegians and Danes on the team. It's really interesting to see the differences in the way they view things, they definitely work hard but I love how they don't feel guilty for NOT working either. Mother's getting a year maternity leave, awesome. . . I feel bad just taking a couple days when I'm sick. Maybe I will come move up to where you are.

LuAnn said...

Hey Friend! I hear you about being overwhelmed! I am so grateful that I get the summer off of work. Yesterday Jon and I spent all day painting, moving and building furniture that is all supposed to make the house more organized for the baby! I hope it will because right now everything feels like a big mess! Isn't it crazy how fast time is flying by?! I can't believe that in a few months our cute little bumping baby bumps will be the sweetest and most beautiful screamers / poopers that we have ever seen!!! Love ya!!!