Sunday, June 13, 2010

Danish Creatures

Living more in the "countryside" now than before, I have been enjoying all sorts of new wildlife.

For example.

The other day, coming home late at night, I saw a porcupine meandering through the bushes outside our apartment. I immediately assumed it must be a very rare occurrence to see such a creature (I had never seen one outside the zoo before), so I excitedly called Morten over. He ho-hummed and told me they are as normal here as armadillos or possums in Texas. Ok then.

We also spotted a hare the other day. Not a rabbit, a hare. Running accross the road. Complete with extremely perky ears. It made me want to go read the Redwall books again and start saying "wot, wot!" at the end of every sentence.

Recently, I also had a not-so-pleasant encounter with an overgrown spider. We live on the second floor and I'll have to say we do manage to keep things pretty clean and uncluttered for the most part, but there it was, a giant spider in the bathroom. Any time I mention my distaste for spiders in company with danes, one of them is sure to point out that spiders in Denmark never bite, and most people pick them up and play with them as children. Though that is not very comforting, I guess spiders are still better than roaches. So, comparing Texan and Danish wildlife, I do most definitely prefer the Danish version.

No comments: