Monday, July 20, 2009

Sankt Hans Aften

A lot has happened.

1. Camille got her mission call. Ogden Utah! She is leaving VERY soon. We are so proud of her. She will be an amazing missionary! We will be maintaining a mission blog for her.

2. We moved. To a much bigger/better apartment in Vallensbæk. That means we are more into the suburbs/countryside and not so close to the city (i.e. farther from work, church, school, etc), but it is WAY worth it. We have gotten so much help from family and friends with finding the place, moving, etc! They are awesome. I will post pictures but right now we don't have all our furniture yet, so I will be vain and wait until it looks nice.

3. Morten had a birthday. He is now 27. That was a few months ago actually. Wow it has been a while since I wrote.

4. We've been married almost a year. Next month. Wow!

4. I passed Danish module 2 and I will be moving on to 3 next month. I'm not really looking forward to going back to class but I am looking forward to learning more Danish.

5. We went to a bonfire on Sankt Hans Aften, the Danish Midsummer tradition. On the 23rd of June, the Danes light very large fires on all the beaches. It is a very old/important tradition in most of northern Europe, and came from medieval times when it was meant to ward off evil spirits. They even put a fake (life sized) witch on top of the flames. At the beach where we went, the fire was definitely the biggest I have ever seen, covering the same amount of ground as a small house. There were fireworks too. These are the pictures (taken with Morten's phone). It was almost 11 PM when this first one was taken. They couldn't start the fire until it got dark(ish).





3 comments:

joanna said...

hey, that's awesome about your sister's mission call. My sister lives really close to Ogden, maybe they'll run into each other sometime.
Also, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your new place!

Nama said...

Yeay for a new place! And I love the Danish bonfire-witch thing. It makes me miss Denmark.

LuAnn said...

I love it! We totally need to start burning fake people here in Utah! Maybe we don't cause there are no evil spirits here... JK! So I am super excited for Camille! That is great! That is cool that your husband just turned 27 - Mine just turned 23.... LOL