Saturday, May 10, 2008

Surprise! Valbyparken

The weather has still been excellent so yesterday we decided to ride out to the beach. We took a (beautiful) bike path down to what had looked like a beach on the map. Morten thought it would be fun to take a little detour road up a steep hill into the trees (I thought it was a driveway at first, I guess that's what comes of spending too much time in Arkansas). At the top we found a great little spot full of big steep hills with benches on top of each one, looking out over the sea on one side and cute houses on the other. No I didn't bring my camera...I will go another day and take pictures. It was a nice surprise.

However there still wasn't a sandy conventional beach, it was all rocks still, so we decided to ride down another path along the beach looking for one where we could dip our feet in the water. Taking a few random turns, we unexpectedly ended up in a huge park. Though it was only a 10-15 minute bike ride from the apartment, neither of us had known it was there. I have since looked it up and found that its name is "Valbyparken" and it's the largest public park in Copenhagen. Convenient huh? It's full of "circular gardens" with flowers and herbs, gazebos, huge trees, a cafe, flowers, very unique playgrounds and exhibits and walking paths. It reminded me of the Dallas Arboretum with one major difference: it's free! So I think I will spend plenty of time down there this summer when I am jobless.

Summing it all up: a very pleasant surprise. I'll take pictures next time.

No comments: