Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fiddler on the Roof

"It is torturing to be homesick all the time, and yet not want to come home."
- Maud Hart Lovelace

I was just watching Fiddler on the Roof for the umpteenth time, and one particular song seemed very pertinent to how I have been feeling lately: homesick, but at the same time not wanting to come home. This particular song was one that I sang in a voice recital when I was sixteen, without knowing how it foreshadowed a decision I would make 9 years later.

Here is the song - "Far From the Home I Love." Just replace "there" with "here."

How can I hope to make you understand
Why I do what I do,
Why I must travel to a distant land,
Far from the home I love.
Once I was happily content to be
As I was, where I was,
Close to the people who are close to me,
Here in the home I love.
Who could see that a man would come
Who would change the shape of my dreams.
Helpless now I stand with him,
Watching older dreams grow dim.
Oh, what a melancholy choice this is,
Wanting home, wanting him,
Closing my heart to ev'ry hope but his,
Leaving the home I love,
There where my heart has settled long ago
I must go, I must go.
Who could imagine I'd be wand'ring so
Far from the home I love
Yet, there with my love, I'm home.

2 comments:

Katie Houston said...

Wow, how applicable that is! I absolutely love that song. It's amazing how certain songs apply so poignantly to our lives. The one that applies to me the most goes like this:

To state the obvious, I didn't get my perfect fantasy. I realized you loved yourself more than you could ever love me! So watch me strike a match on all my wasted time. As far as I'm concerned, you're just another picture to burn."

:-)

alainapaina said...

Wow! That one seems very appropriate as well. Songs are so great...did you ever hear of the "Girl Power" playlist that Shannon Zirbel and I made one time? It was a really perfect combination of girl power songs, I still listen to it all the time. It sounds like that song would have fit perfectly in there!